Don't take my word for it, why not read what the unions had to say last April before the election. Bear in mind that what Unison are describing here is the Labour administration before you believe another weasel word offered by Lovelock, Page, Ruheman, Ennis and Orton. This was written about them (highlighting and underlining is mine):
Let's just outline what the Unison rep is telling staff members they know all about:
- Labour have refused to even talk about implementing equal pay (it is "comatose")
- Union members are worse off because of Labour's refusal to implement the scheme.
- Some staff are being paid by Labour for more than the work they actually do.
- Labour pay some staff just for turning up to work.
- Labour continue to pay some staff a bonus for things they no longer do.
- Labour will continue to put up council tax
- Labour will give them no pay rise
- Labour are going to make staff redundant.
If staff are angry they really need to ask why are their union representaves are so supine and willing to back Labour in public and hide the reality from them that Labour were using the Equal Pay money from the poorest staff each year to fund their pet projects and budget overspend. Maybe they would like to ask self-styled socialist (sic) John Ennis why he chose to dump all over council workers when he was in the Labour cabinet?
The unions have been playing the "you scratch my back, we'll scratch yours" game with public money for nearly a decade funding Labour's campaigns with money and payments in kind, like the use of the Unison franking machine during the general election.
What have union members ever got from Reading Labour other than the closure of the sorting office and an unequal pay regime that elevates the Wheeltappers and Shunters Social Club to a beacon organisation in comparison to a Labour run RBC. What indeed?
I'm not revealing sensitive internal Council documents here, they are publically available. If you want to find out exactly why the unions support Reading Labour you can easily find out - a few choice keywords into Google is all that's needed. No, I'm not going to point you at it. Do your own work!