Tuesday, 15 February 2011

Curiouser and curiouser.

The RCRE email mystery gets even stranger. I received this email.late on Sunday.
Dear Sir/Madam.

I am writing to support the Racial Equality Council of Reading. 

In 2009 I suffered race religious discrimination and harassment at my work place. I seeked help from many places like the citizens advice, police and my community centre. Each time I went to these places they did not help me. As a last resort I met a worker at the readings racial equality council who helped write letters and advised how to follow grievance procedures through the whole process. Because of his help and intervention the people who were causing me the distress at work were suspended and the company took a strong line of action against discrimination. I wish to say that my dignity was restored and now other people of ethnic minorities in my work place feel they do not have to put up with what I went through. If you cut the funding where do people in my situation go to, as other agencies never helped me even when I went to them. I am very grateful to the worker of the racial equality council and hope that you don’t stop this help to other people who may need it. Please reconsider the decision to cut the funding of the racial equality council.

Your Faithfull

***** *******.
It contains a serious allegation about the Citizen's Advice Bureau, that they did not help someone who went to them seeking advice.

In 2008 when I was on the RCRE board I heard a similar complaint against the CAB which was used by a board member as evidence that RCRE was the only organisation that could help. I checked it. That person had not contacted the CAB for help on the matter they had complained about.

I smelled a rat.

The writer of this email hasn't contacted the CAB either! I wonder if the police would like to comment on the accusation that they refused to help someone who went to them complaining about being the victim of racial discrimination. It's one thing to write in support of an organisation but it's quite another thing to make up a story.



Other news....

A message of support on getReading in support of RCRE's £90,000 per year cash guarantee comes from Ruwan, Newbury.  Mr. Uduwerage-Perera is a member of RCRE and on the board of the UNI Network whose project director is Rajinder Sohpal. He appears to be a little shy of mentioning it in his post.

6 comments:

GIDEON MACK said...

I don't understand what you are implying here?

Is this a fake letter? What was it's purpose? Why do you ask the question relating to the Police not helping?

Please elaborate.

Was said...

The email was meant to show there is public support for RCRE.

The email was sent to the BBC and I believe all RBC councillors (it was sent bcc to my reading.gov.uk address so I cannot confirm that).

It states that he contacted the CAB and they didn't help him.

It states that he went to the police and they didn't help him.

These are serious allegations against organisations which either are paid public money to do this work or enforce the law. I therefore treated it as a complaint against the CAB from a resident.

What I discovered is that the complainant did not telephone or visit the CAB and at no point has he asked them for help.

The root of this is that the CAB was given an advice contract in preference to RCRE. RCRE didn't like that. This tactic has been used before by RCRE and when I investigated that case I found it was also untrue in claiming they had contacted the CAB.

Free Thinker said...

I was sent the same email by bcc. I too was struck by the allegations so was very interested to read your post

Serendib said...

RE: Other news....

A message of support on getReading in support of RCRE's £90,000 per year cash guarantee comes from Ruwan, Newbury. Mr. Uduwerage-Perera is a member of RCRE and on the board of the UNI Network whose project director is Rajinder Sohpal. He appears to be a little shy of mentioning it in his post.

The relevance of whether I am a member of the RCRE, or for that matter a board member of Uni, I do not quite grasp.

Is it relevant to you that I am also a former police officer, adviser on equality issues to the service nationally, a current member of the Liberal Democrat Party, the Secretary to the West Berkshire Minority Ethnic Forum, and involved in a number of of voluntary organisations both here in the UK as well as in Sri Lanka (also my ancestral homeland)?

It seems only natural that I would be supportive of an organisation that I am only too aware has done and continues to do incredible work within the community, and with statutory organisations at a local, regional, national levels.

As someone involved in equality advocacy work I am honoured to be associated with the RCRE, but I cannot quite fathom out why the Reading Liberal Democrats, and yourself specifically seem to have a 'downer' on this organisation.

If you or others are aware of something that the public need to know then state it, but making innuendoes and uncorroborated comments is not helpful.

GIDEON MACK said...

I thank you for the explanation.

Was said...

You are perfectly entitled to your opinion but please do not put words in my mouth,