Wednesday, 9 February 2011

Minority Report

To hear Labour weep tears for the Ethnic Minorities Forum and RCRE was quite something.

I can bet they've never had a crowd of neighbourhood kids gathered outside their houses screaming "Jungle Bunnies Go Home" or got in a fight because their younger sister has come home in tears because she's been called a "Wog"?

I have. Let me tell you it's not very nice. Really it isn't. Take my word for it. I wouldn't wish it on anyone.
My Mum, Aunties and Uncles

I might be a white pinko but my great grandmother was Tamil-Singhalese. My mother is brown-skinned, as is one of my sisters. My other sisters are different shades between. When immigrants from Sri Lanka came to England they settled in Highbury, so if anyone wonders why I'm an Arsenal fan it's because I support my Mum's team.

I have suffered racial prejudice on a scale that is unimaginable to middle-class whites whose idea of fighting racial hatred is based on pseudo-student one liners more suited to Rik (with a silent 'p') from the Young Ones. You haven't really fought racial hatred unless you've had a punch in the face simply because you have a mother with brown skin.

Yet to hear the local Labour party sob about the descent of Reading into the race hate capital of the UK because organisations have to justify their existence you'd think that the local coalition had invited Jack Straw to give a presentation at the next full council.

Jack Straw? Yes, he who said: "There is a specific problem which involves Pakistani heritage men ... who target vulnerable young white girls. We need to get the Pakistani community to think much more clearly about why this is going on and to be more open about the problems that are leading to a number of Pakistani heritage men thinking it is OK to target white girls in this way."

Now THAT is racist, yet Labour politicians and supporters are quite happy for this racist white man speak on their behalf.

This is the same Labour Party that when I denounced the targeting of Muslims using NI35 at the Ethnic Minorities Forum, first promised to remove the target, then sneakily reintroduced it several times, defending a clearly racist piece of legislation to the point of ridiculousness. Again and again they ignored the clear wishes of the forum to remove NI35 from their programme. They clearly did not listen to it when they ran the council, so why their sudden conversion to its importance now other than for political purposes?

Labour's anti-racist credentials are flawed and self-serving. They don't give a toss for ethnic minorities unless they can deliver votes to the polling stations in taxis.

.,

No comments: