Sunday, 20 March 2011

This is not a song about killing Arabs...

I can turn and walk away or I can fire the gun.
Staring at the sky, staring at the sun
Whichever I chose it amounts to the same
Absolutely nothing
I'm alive
I'm dead
I'm the stranger
Killing an arab


That's pretty much what a sticker on the Boys Don't Cry album I found in the New York Virgin Megastore had on it. Fat Bob himself has taken to changing the lyrics in the live set.

My ex-fiancee studied L'√Čtranger in sixth form and took my copy of the original 7" single of Killing an Arab for the class to listen to. It remains the most advanced book I've ever read in French (with a companion dictionary - my French reading level is barely above Asterix standard).

It's a brilliant book in any language so changing wording of a song about it simply to cater for the most wilfully ignorant or maliciously motivated is not something I'd agree with.

But now I can understand why Robert Smith does.

I had only to wish that there be a large crowd of spectators the day of my execution and that they greet me with cries of hate.

Oh Meursault.

No comments: